The Beekeeping Academy of Slovenia (BAS) offers informal training courses in beekeeping, designed as a form of innovative, theme-oriented and problem-based education (PBE). The training begins with a general course on beekeeping – this is an introductory step before the actual PBE. The course provides a theoretical overview of beekeeping in general, presented to the candidates by the BAS experts. Part of the course is devoted to a debate on specific topics, which serves as a basis for further selection of the right level of training.
TRAINING CATEGORIES OFFERED BY THE BAS
The courses are conducted in Slovene and foreign languages, mostly in English. The training will be organised on several levels, both in terms of substance and scope. In principle the training can be divided into:
- General – Basic Course, organised within five different time-frames, each conducted in Slovene and English. The time and substance of the course can be adapted to the goals and circumstances of the participants and/or their environment.
- Specialised courses, organised in several expert areas (Technologies in Beekeeping, Food Safety, Bee Health, Marketing of Apicultural Products, Queen Bee Breeding, Beekeeper as the Promoter of Biodiversity and Beekeeping for Disabled People) in three different time-frames, each in Slovene and English.
General Beekeeping – Basic Course
- Technologies in Beekeeping
- Food Safety
- Bee Health
- Marketing of Apicultural Products
- Queen Bee Breeding
- Beekeepers as Promoters of Biodiversity
- Beekeeping for Disabled People
PERSONS WHO WILL TEACH COURSES FOR PARTICIPANTS IN SLOVENIA AND ABROAD ON BEHALF OF THE BAS
The training will be carried out by beekeeping instructors with adequate knowledge and experience. These are highly competent beekeeping practitioners who had been active in this field for a number of years. Not only do they have a high level of beekeeping expertise, but they also have a positive attitude and the capacity and desire to pass on their knowledge and skills to the course participants, both in Slovene and English and/or other foreign languages.
Based on the identified needs and competences, the BAS will appoint beekeeping instructors who will train the participants in the courses. Apart from the beekeepers, certain specialised areas may be covered by experts in those fields, such as university professors.